The categories, finalists and winners of the 2017 National Service User Awards were as follows:
Health and Wellbeing
Rampton Hospital, Nottinghamshire Healthcare
Peaks Unit patients are creating an app containing audio based around mindfulness. Patients involved completed DBT and were keen to help others. This is patient led creating audio and animation to aid DBT learning through multimedia. The creation of mindfulness skills are being created with media broadcast technologies.
- Meaningful Activity Plan Rampton Hospital, Nottinghamshire Healthcare
- Event Co-ordinator Annesley House, Partnerships in Care
- Smoking Cessation Lead Wyvern Unit, Cygnet Hospital Derby, Cygnet Health Care
- Learning Together – Our Recovery College Journey Cygnet Hospital Derby, Cygnet Health Care
Breaking Down Barriers / Tackling Stigma
Lynfield Mount Hospital, Bradford District Care NHS Trust
Lynfield Mount Hospital’s Moorland View United Voice Choir comprises of service users and staff. Playing many regional events their songs, delivery and collaborative approach are powerful motivation to many. 2016 saw United Voice members stage LYNFEST, a music and arts festival for Bradford District Care NHS Trust forensic, acute, rehabilitation and elderly inpatients and their carers.
- Bowling Ward Recovery Scrapbook Cygnet Hospital Bierley, Cygnet Health Care
- Service led Induction and Mentorship Course Wyvern Unit, Cygnet Hospital Derby, Cygnet Health Care
- Peer Trainers River House, South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust
- Tie Dye for Pride Waterloo Manor, Inmind Healthcare Group
Recovery and the Arts
Cygnet Hospital Stevenage, Cygnet Health Care
‘Unlabelled’ is a film written, produced and acted by service users. Unlabelled aims to tackle stigma surrounding mental health within services and in the community. Service users have presented and screened the film to local schools, colleges and police stations to educate and build awareness since its production in 2016.
- Using Recovery to make delegate packs and trophies for the awards Ashworth Hospital, Mersey Care NHS Trust
- Recovery Platinum Circle Waterloo Manor, Inmind Healthcare Group
- Recovery Songs and Stories Ravenswood House, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Florence Awards Waterloo Manor, Inmind Healthcare Group
Community, Social or Vocational Initiative
Safety in Town
Mersey Care NHS Trust
A service user has been to businesses in the local area to sign up to the safety in town scheme to enable service users to feel safe when in the area and feel comfortable approaching shop keepers if they are feeling vulnerable.
- Life Rooms Mersey Care NHS Trust
- World of Wellness Ravenswood House, Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust
- Memorial Wall The Spinney, Elysium Healthcare
- Milton Ward Knitting Group Cygnet Hospital Kewstoke, Cygnet Health Care
- The Patient Band Ashworth Hospital, Mersey Care NHS Trust
Outstanding Service User Achievement Award
The Appreciation Awards
The Tamarind Centre, Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust
The ‘Appreciation Awards’ is a pioneering annual ceremony where service users coordinate, nominate and recognise the positive achievements of both peers and staff members – no matter how small.
Entirely led by service users, the project is recognised as empowering and enabling, likely to benefit wider cohorts within the wider forensic service.
- PROM DROM and Empowerment Structure Cygnet Hospital Bury, Cygnet Health Care
- York and Humber Involvement Network York and Humber Involvement Network
- Outstanding Service User Involvement in Peer Support Jigsaw Hospital, Equilibrium Healthcare
- Painting as Therapy – John the Artist Cygnet Hospital Derby, Cygnet Health Care
Service User Choice Award
Outstanding Service User Involvement in Peer Support
Linden Unit, Jigsaw Independent Hospital
This service user has been involved as a patient rep in numerous hospitals for over 15 years, using her own experiences and insight in to the running of health care services to inform and support other patients in their recovery. She also plays an active role in support groups within the community.